A number of prominent media outlets came out in force Tuesday to highlight Fox News’ decision to retract a story it ran about murdered DNC staff member Seth Rich.
One week ago, Fox News’ award-winning investigative reporter Malia Zimmerman, reported that Seth Rich had “leaked thousands of internal emails to WikiLeaks” prior to his death, citing multiple law enforcement sources.
“The federal investigator, who requested anonymity, said 44,053 emails and 17,761 attachments between Democratic National Committee leaders, spanning from January 2015 through late May 2016, were transferred from Rich to MacFadyen before May 21,” Zimmerman wrote.
Prior to his death last year, Gavin MacFadyen, 76, was an American investigative journalist and documentary filmmaker. He facilitated and protected whistleblowing activities and organized events at which whistleblowers and former intelligence personnel spoke publicly.
Zimmerman noted elsewhere in her report that her sources backed up disturbing remarks made by Rod Wheeler, a former DC homicide detective whose private investigation firm was hired by Rich’s family to probe the case.
“Here’s one other thing that is going to be startling…I’m just gonna say this right now. I reached out to the police department way back in March when the family first hired me right…to get involved. I didn’t hear anything from the police department for 2-3 days,” Wheeler told Fox News’ Sean Hannity on May 16.
“Guess what I learned yesterday from the family of Seth Rich?” Wheeler asked Hannity.
“The police department did not call me back because someone, a high-ranking official at the DNC — check this out — a high ranking official at the DNC — when I called the police department, they got that information and called the Rich family wanting to know, why was I snooping around?” Wheeler told the Fox News host.
According to WND.com, the “high-ranking official at the DNC” turned out to be none other than Former Democratic National Committee interim chairwoman Donna Brazile. (Brazile was the one who sent Hillary Clinton debate questions ahead of a CNN debate).
Shortly after Wheeler declared his findings publicly on Hannity’s show, NBC News reported that Joseph Ingrisano, an attorney representing the family of Rich, sent a cease and desist letter to Wheeler telling him to “immediately and permanently” stop making any comments about Seth Rich or his death and suggested he could face further legal action.
Ingrisano was one of a number of individuals who spoke out on behalf of the Rich family, blasting Fox News and Rod Wheeler for reporting on the case.
Rich family spokesman Brad Bauman was another.
“Bauman insisted that anyone who continued to push the story either had a ‘transparent political agenda,’ or were a sociopath,” Disobedient Media’s William Craddick reported.
“But an August 2016 tweet from Wikileaks revealed that Bauman is a crisis public relations consultant working with the Pastorum Group,” Craddick added.
Craddick continued, detailing how “a media release from the Pastorum Group reveals that Bauman previously worked for the DNC and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).”
The SEIU has previously been reported by the Wall Street Journal as a “top spender” for the Democrats, openly endorsed Hillary Clinton in 2016 and actively assisted in her campaign.
Fox News posted the retraction on its FoxNews.com homepage. The statement reads as follows:
On May 16, a story was posted on the Fox News website on the investigation into the 2016 murder of DNC Staffer Seth Rich. The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting. Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed.
We will continue to investigate this story and will provide updates as warranted.
Soon after Fox News posted the retraction, left-wing news outlets — the same outlets that wouldn’t touch the Seth Rich story with a 10-foot pole a day earlier — raced to report on the new development.
Most of the outlets described the story as a “conspiracy,” but, meanwhile, failed to report on an email sent by John Podesta, Hillary Clinton’s former campaign chairman, which alluded to “making an example of a suspected leaker.”
While right-wing pundits point to that email as a potential “smoking gun” in the murder case of Seth Rich, the left-wing media has chosen to avoid reporting on it altogether.
Frankly, we may never know exactly what happened to Seth Rich, but it’s a shame that some in the media would choose to cherry-pick which stories to cover surrounding his murder.
The public’s trust in the media is already at an all-time low — stamping out which stories it deems to be “fake news” will only exacerbate that distrust.
One America News Network (OAN) has offered a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect in former DNC staffer Seth Rich’s murder case.